The Congress of Black Women (COBW) was founded on March 8 1981, International Women’s Day.
We are a volunteer membership-based non-profit organization. Our purpose is to enhance the consciousness, education and rights of Black women in Manitoba. We serve Black women all over the province by providing programs to aid cross-cultural relations and assist social justice initiatives. We regularly assess and add new services to ensure we deliver the most value to the women we support.
- To plan and implement programs geared to the needs of Black Women of all ages in Manitoba
- To encourage the education and development of Black Women and to familiarize them with the educational systems and institutions so that they and their families may achieve their full potential
- To increase awareness and provide a forum for Black Women in Manitoba to discuss relevant issues and recommend solutions for constructive change
- To foster a climate in which it is acceptable for Black Women to openly examine issues and concerns which affect them and their families
- Black consciousness and history with an emphasis on Black Women in Canada
- Cross cultural relations
- Strategies for effective employment; job interviews skills, resume writing and career counselling
- Financial literacy
- Social actions – employment and workplace standards for domestic affirmative action, human rights and pension reform
- Women’s Health
- Facilitation, public speaking and computer skills